Wednesday, 23 November 2011

The cell phone rule

Thursday 24th November 2011

I didn’t hear it ring….I swear I didn’t.

(Doesn’t help that the radio is up and im singing along as im driving to work)

But ring it must have done

8 times.

All unanswered

It rang for the 9th time

And I answered it, finally.

“YOU!!” I got down the phone

“Where is your phone?  Don’t answer; I know exactly where it is.  It’s in the bottom of your handbag in the back of the car”

“Yes” I answer simply.

He then proceeds to lecture me sternly about the importance of this rule, the rule he just reminded me of, of having my cell phone handy at all times.  It could have been the police telling me he was on his way to hospital, or it could have been an emergency, or the kids needed me, or he needed me, or had broken down, anything.

I simply had no answer.  I blushed and apologized.

Consequently, I am to be reminded,  8 times and then some tonight, on how important it is I don’t break this rule.









12 comments:

  1. If it helps your argument, you really shouldn't be answering the phone while driving anyway. Let me know if telling him that works out for you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly enough I just had to chide Ginger for this same thing, and yes the phone was in the bottom of her bag. It wasn't in the back of the car though. She used that "I shouldn't use the phone while I'm driving a car" reasoning too. I agreed, so now she doesn't have a car.






    O.K. that's not actually why we got rid of the car, but it did solve the problem of her putting the bag in the back seat. And admit it, you were considering the odds for a second there. He wouldn't take my car away......would he? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, if you mind me saying it is this type of rules why you are not finding your self submitting.

    And the 8 or 9 rings... totally arbitrarily and no added value for any one.

    My thinking: No one can take this serious in his heart. As soon as you start questioning the wisdom of a couple of rules, the whole concept is out of dominance is out of the the window.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm never allowed to leave the house without mine! Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh cell phones!
    I can not count the number of cell phone issues my "H" and I have. I leave it everywhere, and I'm on my third phone in a years time.
    Just before we left for Holiday, I left it at my daughters school and they called our house... I thought he was going to explode, we had to leave early just to go pick it up before our trip.

    Good thing we are not practicing dd just yet.. I'm sure I would have had a tough 8 hour car ride.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LEA: Nope it didnt work out :(
    MAGNUS: LOL its a pretty long walk to work for me if he did - but then that would kill two birds with one stone wouldnt it - exercise rule and telephone rule but sssshhhhh please dont tell him - i like my car ;)
    ELDER: im not totally sure I understand what you are trying to say here ? sorry :(
    TIFFINY: me neither. I get into big trouble :( Happy thanksgiving to you too :)
    EMI JONES: oh dear :( ive juat had a bad week for rule breaking thats all, thankfully its almost over
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK @ anonymous don't try to second guess me. Actually I have not been quite clear in my comment, so it is open for different interpretations. If you want to be thought provocative, the least thing you should do is not write anonymous. Otherwise people might accidentally confuse it with being trollish. And that could never be the intension, do you agree?

    @ Kiwi, dyslexic as I am I sometimes read and understand the wrong thing. My understanding was that ringing 8 times means you phone has been playing "sticks and stones may break my bones" for 8 times before you answered it at the 9th repeat. To be clear all in the same 1 call.
    That seemed to me a bit OTT. Later comments made me understand it was a simple keep your mobile with you and answer it rule, which many subbies have to obey by as well. So this rule is not as silly as I thought

    Anonymous has taken 1 opinion of mine and twisted in to her (?) purpose to piss you off. And that is that if a sub has problems submitting the response should be to go back to basics, i.e. a Dom should choose his battles carefully and concentrate that those work before other rules are introduced. Extrapolate this to the extreme and you are left with the most important ground rule: "Do as you say and say as you do", i.e. before you can follow my rules you should be able to stick to your own intensions.

    Hope this clarifies Kiwi. And "her", no I was not assessing any ones intelligence.

    One funny but serious experiment done in Holland was to take an traffic crossing that was an accident black spot.
    remove all sign posts
    remove all markings on the road
    make no distinction between pedestrian walk way and road
    The traffic calmed down and the accidents reduced.
    It was undone because there are doubts about the long term effects if rolled out. But as experiment it was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Elder, yes you have clarified what you meant. I wasnt too clear either - i should have made it cleat that he attempted to ring me 8 times and as i didnt have my phone near me I was unaware he was trying to get hold of me.
    Its one of our rules.
    Ive learned from it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, ummm, at least it wasn't 15 times!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad this isnt a rule of mine - I'd fail everyday. I never know where I put that thing!

    ReplyDelete