Why do we sometimes resist spankings?
I wonder sometimes why it is I resist when it’s offered, threatened, or enforced upon me. I desired this lifestyle; I researched it, read about it, searched blogs and asked questions before I went to him to talk to him about it. He was hesitant at first but then he seemed to take it with both hands and run with it. He set me rules, he set the consequences, he listened when I went to him and said I needed something slightly more, or slightly less, he asked me questions, was I still OK with it, happy with it, was he doing everything OK. He even started looking for pervertables. He flourished being in charge of me. He even told me that I had no idea what I had unleashed in him. I loved the fact that he was in charge, taking care of me, setting standards and making me accountable to him. So why, when I am faced with punishment do I sometimes resist?
We hit the start stop speed bump from time to time. Sometimes he will spank and it’s only for a minute or two. Or sometimes he forgets the reason he is spanking me. He tells me he is sure there is something I have done, but can’t quite remember and as a result I don’t get that lecture or “telling off” that I need. Sometimes he will tell me I’m in trouble and then there is no follow through. Sometimes, like now, he seems to let me get away with all manner of misbehaviour and I’ll be honest right now I’m taking full advantage of this little speed bump. But I’m not feeling good about it, not one little bit.
So when we hit this particular speed bump I do begin to wonder if this is just a game to him. I had thought I had expressed my needs and desires clearly enough now for him to understand. But we have halted again. It’s confusing. It makes it really hard to talk about. Once spankings stop we start to argue, I start to feel lost and alone and disconnected. I feel rebellious, mouthy, resentful and disobedient. I forget our roles. I start to make decisions and try to lead our family.
I lived without spankings for four years (in a previous relationship). I could never go back to that. It was like a part of me was missing. I don’t want to feel like that again. We were lying in bed last night after making love and he was rubbing the cheeks of my bottom and he mentioned that he hadn’t spanked me for a while. I whined back I know baby. He told me I was in need of it. I ever so eagerly agreed with him. He said that maybe this weekend when we are by ourselves. So I told him that I really need a long hard spanking. So he said well OK then, this weekend it is.
As he held my face in his hands this morning saying goodbye to me at the gate he expressly forbade me to do something that I really want to do and I argued about it and he told me again that I need a good spanking. He even raised his hand to slap my face for arguing. He knows I want him to do that but he is hesitant. He said he was trying to figure out how to do it. He has not ever slapped a woman before. So I suggested he take off his glasses so that I could show him but he didn’t quite like that idea and so he just ruffled my hair and kissed me instead. I do know I need it – a spanking, a paddling, a caning (I hesitate with that one) but some kind of discipline. I’m forgetting our roles because of the lack of it. I need the affirmation of those roles once more.
We are arguing more, and words hurt more than spankings or should I say the pain of words lingers more than the pain of a spanking. I will fall off the rails shortly, I need to be brought back on track and only a good spanking will do this for me. I am starting to push, do my own thing, distance myself, make my own decisions, disobey him, get smart and sarcastic, ignore him, and spend money. I need him to take me in hand once more. I am doing stuff that I know he won’t appreciate or like and it’s all because I am getting away with it. I need him to affirm he is my head, he is in charge. But when it happens, when I am confronted with the inevitable I will resist, I will fight it, I will question him as to why he is spanking me.
I tell myself it’s because it hurts, but deep down I think the reason I sometimes resist spankings is the inconsistency that happens from time to time.
Part of it probably is because it hurts, physically. It's human nature to want to avoid pain. Another factor may be that you are afraid to open yourself up emotionally to something that you are finding inconsistent. I hope you get what you are looking for. *hugs*
ReplyDeleteThe submissive never gets to set the pace. You can influence it some, but you are not in control. So, the best you can probably do for yourself is submit to whatever pace he sets.
ReplyDeleteAs for face slapping, as I mentioned before, this is not entirely safe. If you're going to do that as a couple, then I strongly recommend researching it to make sure that you do it safely.
There are certain common BDSM behaviors that can be quite dangerous (in that they can cause real harm, not just pain), so anyone that's going to do more than spanking (where I mean slapping the buttocks with the hand) should do a little research before proceeding.
I know I sound excessively prudent. But then, some kinds of damage simply cannot be repaired.
I know you know, I have been in the same place. I guess it is because we are not perfect, our HOH's are not machines. We rely on them to lead us, correct us but when they are having a bad day or need a day off ,what happens? Of course once we get back to where we want to be the result is beautiful. Maybe mantra's can help? I have tried doing this and sometimes it works. Just repeating over and over again in your head who you are and what your role is? I hope you get back on track soon. SG
ReplyDeleteMy husband has shared with me on occasion how hard it is for him to spank and how easy it is to let things go. He's changed...it happened much more at the beginning than it does now. I'd say that he's been VERY consistent in the last 4 months, but I know that it both takes a lot of energy and gives a lot back, if that makes sense. It takes all sorts of time for men to grow in their confidence and leadership role. It's hard to say, but I think the best way we can encourage them is to do our best to keep our side of the commitment and honor the reality that they too have big learning curves. Just keep trying, communicating and hold on for the weekend. Keep talking to us too whenever you need to...we'll listen and encourage you!
ReplyDeleteThank you for a very insightful post.
ReplyDeleteCan I be quite frank kiwi? You won't like it, but I'll say it anyways. You're being a bit bratty. You don't have to do any of that just because you can -decide not to! (At least to an extent it is possible). You want a spanking so you're being a brat to get one. Go to him and ask for one instead. Every time you you think he falters you take two steps back too. Try to stay in place and pull him back to you instead.
ReplyDeleteHe is in charge, does he really need to prove it all the time, or do you know it just because you've handed it to him? Try not to slack just because you can, instead prove to him that you can be good, that way you can get the good spankings instead of punishment? Just ask.
Don't get stuck on the speed bump just because he has, wait for him behind it and show him that you're on this road together.
I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound harsh -I hope you know that! I just don't want you to spiral downwards. Stand steadfast and give him a chance to catch up. He will. You know he will.
Love and hugs,
Sweet girl.
(who probably isn't seen as all that sweet right this second)
Kiwi, you resist and he hesitates, not because either of you are playing but bc it is new and you are both still finding your way. Think how much you have read and studied and questioned and thought...has he had that time or exposure?
ReplyDeletePatience grasshopper! :)
"Once spankings stop we start to argue, I start to feel lost and alone and disconnected. I feel rebellious, mouthy, resentful and disobedient. I forget our roles. I start to make decisions and try to lead our family. "
That says it all. Tell him you want to talk (not accuse), ask him about his feelings, his ambivalence, his worries, maybe start sharing some of the more important things you have read on a weekly basis. He needs time to catch up and grow too!
Hang in there! Sara
I know for myself that sometimes I resist bc I need to really feel the loss of control. If I can talk my way out of it, I'm regaining control. Its kind of a knee jerk reaction, it just happens. I don't REALLY want to get away with it, because then I'm in control, not him, and I hate that. I get the same way as you with no spankings. It's not fun.
ReplyDeleteMaybe you should start with yourself. Are you respecting his authority? If he sees that you are putting forth effort on your part he'll be more apt to be the leader you need/want.
ReplyDeleteJust a thought:)!
Love,
Kitty
Davey can spank me all he wants, but if he slapped my face I would be devastated. To us, that is not a respectful action. And Davey respects me, and I respect him. If you are sure it would work for you, well, fine. I am just saying, that is a definite no no in our relationship.
ReplyDeleteI hear what you are saying about inconsistency; it sucks...but I can see it could all be a little overwhelming/confusing for him, he is taking it slow because he wants to get it right, and you are sending out mixed signals!
You have your whole lives to perfect this; stop running and walk! Remember, people like Sara and Bonnie have been in their spanking relationships for years; yet there are still times things "go wrong"!!
Stop looking ahead to the destination, and enjoy the journey! xxxxxxxx
You know how much I love being spanked but I always protest that I don't deserve one (even when it's a bald face lie). That's a hang over from my youth when I only fantasied about spanking. In the fantasy I always protested and resisted I think because I wanted the man to be strong and take over.
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with Daisy with the face slapping. I know you've said you want to experience it but it would be an absolute no for me.
Hugs,
PK
Oh honey, I so get what you are saying... those times just suck! I think we all have been there!!
ReplyDeleteWhen that happens... I have found that I really need ask him to take care of business! I'm thinking what I would do is ask for an emergency spank... figure out somewhere to go... it doesn't take that long to get you back where you need to be, and it takes so much longer.. the longer you wait.
As far as the slapping the face goes... I personally feel like that crosses the line... I feel like slapping the face is abuse. You really might want to rethink that one... I don't mean to force my beliefs onto you... I'm just offering that...
Thanks for sharing!! ;o)
OK sorry to jump in here again but i'm wanting to put something in perspective. Firstly Rich Person; why on earth would face slapping be dangerous?!? Punching can harm yes, slapping is not dangerous -at all!
ReplyDeleteSecondly, I know most of you are in DD's, but do you know how a common occurrence face slapping is within the BDSM scene??
It is neither dangerous nor bad. I get that a lot of people aren't into it -I myself had it as a hard limit at first! Now it's "for trying".And it's not abuse before it goes beyond consensual or is with excessive force. I do understand his hesitance however -it's a lot of imprinted behaviour and safety-triggers to get passed first.
Hang in there hun! Walk, don't run the marathon (and maybe give him some reading tips?).
Hugs, Sweet girl xxx
LEA: Yes I agree with you, its the inconsistency its confusing and frustrating.
ReplyDeleteRP: Thanks :) I know I know I cant set the pace. The stop start is just so frustrating. As for teh face slapping its something id like to try - its been done before...so we will see :)
SG: Thanks honey good advice :)
SUSIE: Thank you, kind words. Yes I rant and rave and celebrate in here.I dont at home. I dont bring up the subject lately, just letting it ride. So thanks for listening :)
JOEY: Thank you :)
SG: LOL - thanks hon xx
SARA: Thanks Sara, as usual very sound words of wisdom - will try to follow them :)
HEATHER: I know that feeling oh what to do huh? Frustrating!
KITTY: Im trying to, its not a deliberate attemt to disobey it just happens before I know it. ITs hard to explain. Thanks though honey :)
DC: I didnt mean to offend anyone with the face slapping. Ive had it done before and I just wanted to try it again just to see. He is hesitant - he is trying to work out how to do it kind of thing :) if we dont like it we wont do it. Thanks for your words of advice though :) sound wisdom.
PK: Thank you - again sorry i didnt mean to offend anyone about the face slapping.
MIKKI: Thanks hon. Just another speed bump - we will get past it hopefully at the weekend. Just at the moment it seems that everything, life and everyone is getting in the way - it will work out. He is hesitant about the face slapping, trying to figure it out for himself first before we try it - this is a good thing.
SG: Thanks :) x
Sweet girl, I refer you to "SM 101" (Jay Wiseman). It can cause whiplash. That's not to say that it's very likely, but I think it's worth mentioning, especially since a lot of people probably don't think twice about it.
ReplyDeleteDaisychain and others point out also that what we think about any particular activity is pretty individual. A face slap has a strong connotation of demeaning the recipient. Whether that's a turn on or a turn off depends on a lot of factors.
I'm not concerned for Kiwi because I'm pretty certain she wouldn't be asking him to do it if she thought it was abusive, and I doubt she's going to suffer any permanent harm. But I would be remiss if I didn't point out that this is one type of activity that's known to possibly cause harm if done incorrectly. People don't commonly know that, and so it's important to point it out.
And, BTW, parents all too often do this to children. I'd consider that a big no-no since (A) they're smaller and can more easily suffer physical damage and (B) it's demeaning in a way that I think would be detrimental to their personal growth.
Well, in my experience once they experience sweet, submissive, respectful behavior they really don't want to settle for less. But if you brat or try to just act awful, he may be digested and feel a bit hopeless. Also, you may be hurting him with the way you act. My husband wouldn't just be mad, he'd be hurt.
ReplyDeleteTreat him like a king, grow closer every day- and he will want to meet your needs more, even those he doesn't seem to understand.
I have more the opposite issue. But still, the concept stands. Recently he stretched himself, and gave in to meet my needs..even though he didn't understand and he didn't agree.
We care! Hang I'm there. Show him he's your hero and he will be.
RP: thank you for your second comment. You are right, i dont consider it abuse, its been done before in a previous relationship - not often but it has happened and as i have said he is hesitant about doing it and trying to "work it out" himself he said before he does it. This is good. It may be that we dont like it and it wont happen again but on the other hand - so who knows until we try it :)
ReplyDeleteSTORMY: Its hard for me to consider him my hero at the moment when he pushes me away and yells all the time and is hard to talk to and connect with. I am hoping to find some time this weekend just the two of us to do just that...talk about everything all the stuff that is going on, him pushing me away, the lack of spanking everything....I just need to be blunt honest and up front - hahaha best of luck with that one Kiwi
:) thanks im hanging in there - just :)